Tuesday, March 7, 2017

A step back in history

My husband and I took a little escape vacation this past weekend.  He is recovering from two back surgeries, one in October and one in December of 2016.  We have not been able to get away since he first started having major problems  in August of last year.  We decided to visit Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown in Virginia.  It was a get away even if a chilly one.  We would leave our hotel around 8:30 each morning and spend the day site seeing until around 3:30 - grab some lupper (lunch/supper) and then head back to the hotel to just relax, and yes, even nap.  It was just what we both needed.
 
So funny, in my last post my pictures were showing up sideways, and now this one is upside down.  Once again, I have no idea how to fix this!!!!  Come on, blogger, its looks just fine on my computer.  Anyway, this is a church in Williamsburg that was attended by George Washington, Jefferson Davis, Benjamin Franklin, and many others in our history.  I was excited to see a plaque in the church honoring William Archer Rutherfoord   Goodwin, Jr. who was a benefactor in saving the church back in the 1930-40's.  He was killed in action of WWII.  My maiden name is Rutherford and my husband is a genealogist, so he is going to see if this is one of my ancestors.  That is not a typo in the name, it really had two "o's" in the spelling.  There was also a pew in the church for Thomas Ballard, a vestryman in 1674-1683.  Mr. Ballard is one of my husband's ancestors.
 
I did get a little sewing done
First Five Blocks
Block 5 of my Star of Bethlehem quilt
.
Finished the binding on this baby quilt.
 
Finished some 9-patches in my Rainbow Scrap Challenge

 
As always, thanks for stopping by !
Teresa
 



 
 
 

 

2 comments:

Raewyn said...

Nice that you got some time away - it sounds like you had a really interesting time. Your stars look lovely - the Star of Bethlemhem quilt is going to be gorgeous! And good on you finishing the baby quilt too.

Julie Fukuda said...

Nice bunch of work. It does seem like an interesting historical site. I wonder if you go to your picture file and edit that picture to be upsidedown, then see if it remains that way when you post it. Don't get me started with Mr. Google on blogger. I think he just likes to mess with people's mnds.