Saturday, June 3, 2017

Momma's Sewing Basket

 

My Mom had this big straw basket that she kept on the hearth beside her chair in the living room. It was not a fancy basket, just something she liked and used every day. In this basket there was always a handwork project  that she was working on, whether applique, embroidery, crochet, tatting and sometimes mending.  She might also have a puzzle book and pencil in there, she loved working logic puzzles and some Ludens cough drops. She kept the tv guide close by, she loved watching football and golf on tv, as well as Matlock, which I think she had to have seen every episode at least 5 times.

Momma's hands were never idle, and her basket was never empty.

When Momma passed, I brought her basket home with me, and began using it to hold some of my handwork.  I have found it makes the perfect basket to take on road trips as it holds my project, keeps things from falling on the car floor and can even hold my phone and snacks for the road trip. I love this basket.  

Today my husband and I went on a little road trip and I sat there with her basket on my lap, working on  my project and realized how much more this basket holds. It holds treasured memories of a wonderful Momma who taught me so much.  Thank you, Momma.

Rainbow Scrap Challenge - look hard in my basket and you will see some yellow 9-patches.  The color for June is Yellow.  I love yellow - what's not to love, yellow makes me happy!!!!

Here are my yellow fabrics for June.  I am looking forward to making each little 9-patch with these happy fabrics.







 
Block 13 of the Moda Blockhead Challenge. I decided to add a little embroidery in the center as it looked so plain.


Thanks for stopping by,
Teresaa


9 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely story about your Momma...amazing what memories a basket can hold...your little bow ties are so pretty...hugs, Julierose

Frog Quilter said...

Lovely memories that fill your heart. I love yellow too.

scraphappy said...

What a nice way to remember your Momma. It is funny the things that stay in our minds and our hearts. Beautiful collection of yellows!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lots of lovely YELLOW prints and an heirloom basket to house the blocks in progress. Sweet!!

Nell's Quilts said...

What a wonderful story about your Mom. Such a great way to remember her. Lovely yellow fabrics in the offering for June.

Unknown said...

Teresa, thank you for your book. We just had our retreat this weekend. Wish you could have been there! I think about our last visit often. You are such an inspiration. I hope to see you in Houston in November.

Quiltdivajulie said...

My mom had a basket woven much like your mom's. My sister has it for her sewing notions now. I agree - memories live on in items like that basket.

Julie Fukuda said...

I love your story. I do have a quilt my mother made for me but all other things were given to my younger sisters ... even the doll I was named after and never allowed to touch.

Rose Marie said...

A wonderful memento and such a handy item .... no wonder your Mom used it and now you.